A9 CC: The Majestic Emotion Representation

This is my representation of the emotions in The Majestic. We had watched The Majestic in class. After the movie, we had to pick 21 scenes from the movie to show emotions for. I ended up picking 24 because I thought it would be easier to represent them all. I chose each color carefully. I also tried to make it look like an old black and white movie kind of thing, but it didn’t work so I am sorry for the picture quality.

Here is the image I have created.

Twenty Five Emotions

Scenes: Colours and Meanings

1. New Movie

In this scene, Peter (the main character) attends his movie premiere named Sand Pirates of the Sahara. I felt that this was a happy scene because he has finally completed a task of making a movie and now gets to watch his creation. I chose green to represent this scene because green is considered a happier colour and I feel that it suits this scene perfectly.

2. Communism

In this scene, Peter is accused of communism. He is thought to be seen attending one of the communist meetings with another lady and now is at risk of arrest. I think that this scene would be more of a nervous scene. Being accused of communism is a scary thing, and I know that if I were accused of communism, I would be very nervous or scared. Knowing that, I chose the colour yellow. When choosing this colour, I thought of a stop light. Green meaning good, yellow meaning caution or nervous, and red as mad or angry. I would imagine that he was very nervous, so I chose yellow to represent this scene.

3. Bar

After being accused, he goes to the bar to drink away his feelings. He sits and drinks for a while. I chose orange to represent this since orange is a mixture of red and yellow. I would think that Peter would be mad that he has just lost his whole life and a little unsure of how the situation is going to play out. The emotions would probably be very high at this point, so I decided to mix two of the main emotion colours together to represent Peter at the bar.

4. Accident 

Of course, we all think that drunk driving is a dumb idea, but Peter still gets in the car and drives away to think. While driving, he runs into a hazard. He sees an opossum on the road and tries to swerve to avoid it. He then crashes into the bridge and slowly starts to fall off the bridge. For this scene, I chose a blue for worried or panicked. I assume that he would have been worried and panicked at the fact that he was almost falling off the bridge.

5. Falling

Peter gets out of his car, trying not to fall but eventually, he does. He falls off the bridge, hitting his head and floats away in the river. For this one, I chose gray. I think that gray suits the scene because it’s a stressed, nervous and unsure colour in my mind anyway. Falling off a bridge happens in a matter of seconds, and typically you don’t have time to think. Especially when he hits his head. Peter would have no emotion while unconscious. Gray is a very dull colour, and that’s why I think it fits this scene so well.

6. Lawson

If you wake up suddenly in a new place, and you have no idea where you are, I am pretty sure you would be confused. In this scene, Peter is pulled to shore and awoken by a dog licking his face in a new town.  Of course, from hitting his head, Peter now has Amnesia, so he doesn’t even know his name. I chose a darker gray for this scene. I think I chose for “I’m even more confused than before” emotion. Waking up in a small town, especially when you have Amnesia, is an event where you would definitely leave you unsure.

7. The Old Man

After Peter wakes up, an old man comes up to him and asks him if he is alright. Peter then asks where he is. The Old Man tells Peter that he is in Lawson and takes Peter to the Doctor. I chose a beige colour because I feel that it represents relief. I would think that Peter would feel a little relieved that he knows where he is now and is being taken care of by the Doctor.

8. Harry

While at the Doctor’s office, a guy named Harry walks in. He looks over at Peter and mistakenly thinks that Peter is a man named Luke, who is Harry’s son. Luke was initially believed to have been lost at war but now is “back from the dead.” Peter does not remember who he is, so he thinks this man when he says that Peter is Luke. (I will address Peter as Luke from now on) I chose an orangeish yellow colour for this scene to represent nervous and unsure. Since Peter has no idea what’s going on, he would be unsure and nervous of what’s going to happen.

9. Home

After the visiting the doctor, Harry takes Luke home which happens to be a movie theatre named the Majestic. They go inside and upstairs to the living area. There, he meets Irene and Emmett. Two people who help out with The Majestic. For this scene I chose a light blueish tray colour. I felt that this colour matched the scene because it represents nervousness and confusion.

10. Adele

After meeting Irene and Emmett, Harry takes Luke to the Cafe where he introduces him as Luke and explains how is back from the war. After meeting everyone, a girl named Adele walks in and asks if he remembers her. He sadly says no and she explains that she is his girlfriend. I chose yellow as the colour for this scene. Yellow I think represents surprised more than anything. I’m sure that Luke was surprised to find out that he has a girlfriend.

11. Walking

Adele takes Luke out on a walk. During this walk she explains everything that happened before the war. When they get to the lighthouse, Adele gets the “hiccups”. Luke and Adele then kiss to cure her hiccups. I chose a light blue for this scene because I think it is a calm scene. I also think that this shade of blue is a calm colour.

12. Party

The town throws Luke a welcome home party. He talks to many people and even dances with Adele. For this scene I chose green for happy. I assume that Luke was very happy during this party.

13. Piano

The town asks him to play piano. He says he doesn’t remember anything and when asked to play one of the classics, he couldn’t. Instead he started to play a jazzy tune. In this scene, I chose magenta to represent this scene. I chose this colour because I have identified the scene to be embarrassing. After playing the piano, I would be embarrassed that I had played the wrong thing too.

14. Enemies

Walking home from the party, Luke runs into Bob, whom he had met at the cafe. Immediately, Luke got the sign that Bob disliked him. When he approached him on the street, Bob told Luke that he was setting everyone up for even more heartbreak than they already needed. He then punches Luke in the face and walks away. I have chosen red for this scene. I would imagine that Luke was angry that he had just been punched in the face because to him, it was for no reason. So Bob had just punched Luke without a reason.

15. Majestic

Harry and Luke officially have rebuilt the majestic. I chose the colour lime green for this scene because I feel that they were happy that they can finally reopen the theatre.

16. Remembering

During this scene, Peter’s movie named Sand Pirates of the Sahara plays at the Majestic. While staring at the movie poster and listening to the words, he recites some of the script. It is then that he remembers that he is in fact Peter and not Luke. For this scene, I chose purple. I chose this colour to represent disappointment and disbelief. I think that he would be disappointed that he has to leave his new life and disbelief because he just remembered who he is.

17. Heart Attack

At this point, people notice that Harry missed the reel change and that something is seriously wrong. Emmett comes to get Peter to see what is wrong. They run up the stairs to Harry and sees him lying on the floor. For this I chose pink for upset and nervous. I know that he would be upset that Harry had a heart attack and nervous about what’s going to happen.

18. Funeral

Harry passes away and a funeral is held in his memory. Peter had never told Harry that he wasn’t Luke. He let him pass thinking that he was Luke. I chose a purple for upset again. I am sure that he was very upset even though he wasn’t his actual father.

19. Truth

In this scene, Peter tells Adele that he is not Luke. Of course she is extremely upset by this news. Shortly after, the whole town finds out. I chose an orange/yellow for awkward and nervous. Having everyone find out that you were lying is very awkward and I would imagine that he would be nervous of their reaction.

20. Summons

Federal agents drive into Lawson and find Peter. They present him with a summons to appear in front of the congress for his at ion of communism. For this scene, I chose orange. I think that he would be frustrated and anxious because he knows he didn’t do it and if says one wrong thing he could go to jail.

21. Letter

In this scene, the real Luke reads a letter to Adele. Peter finds this letter and reads it for himself. This letter gives him courage to confront the committee. I chose a bright red for courage because he had courage to stand up to the committee like that.

22. The Girl

After the hearing, Peter later finds out that the girl he went to the meeting with named him to the committee and that is how they found out. I chose light blue for confusion. I would think that he was confused about why she would name him after all the trouble he went through to impress her.

23. Telegram

Peter writes a telegram to Adele telling her to meet him at the train station. I chose a mint green for excited. I would be excited to return to Lawson if I was him.

24. Train

Peter then travels by train back to Lawson. All he does is look out the window and think. I stuck with the green theme because I think that is an exciting event.

25.Welcoming

When he reaches Lawson, the whole town is waiting for him at the train stop. He gets off and is greeted by a bunch of excited people including Adele. It then cuts to pictures of Adele and Peter and the events that follow after. Eventually the have a kid together. I still believe that this was a happy ending after all so I chose a bright green for the ending of The Majestic.

3 thoughts on “A9 CC: The Majestic Emotion Representation

1. Hey Brooke,
    What a great presentation of the activity, the background to it, and what the meaning is behind your representation of colours! I’ve got some Stars and Wishes to share with you. How about a bunch of Stars to start?

Stars include:
    – that you remembered longer text titles need to be underlined. You even did it for the fake movie within the movie!
    – I like that you’ve added your image in a large enough size in the post that a viewer could read it, but also that it opens to a new browser if you click it so it can be expanded for a better read.
    – your writing! You’ve developed in your writing in a few specific ways including:
    – using a lot of different transition phrases to begin each description. This is something that often takes students time to develop, using transitions smoothly and without awkward repetition, so you’re ahead of the game in that regard!
    – you’re writing in present tense! Did you do it naturally or did you go back in and make changes after I mentioned we should always discuss literature text events in present tense?
    – great variety in sentence structure. You’ve got some abrupt, short sentences and there are longer, more complex ones. Having that variety in your writing shows maturity and confidence. I’m really pleased to see that in your work!

Wishes? Can I share a few?
    – you’ve done really well in trying to establish a format in how you’re presenting both your image and your writing. In both, though, your first 1 or 2 examples don’t follow the pattern you follow afterwards. In your image, your numbers for 1 & 2 are at the bottom of your circles; in the writing, your title for #1 is indented when the others aren’t. It’s great you’re thinking to create a format; you want to watch/review to make sure you’re thorough in using one. That’s an easy thing to consider for the next project or post!

Thanks for sharing all of this! Now we need to see if we can share it with someone! Have you considered tweeting your image and blog post to the makers of your app and blog? On Twitter, they are @edublogs, @suewaters (an Edublog rep) and @paperfiftythree . You can also share this image and post on Twitter and include some hashtags you think might get noticed – #studentblogging #studentpln #edtech #elachat #blogging

Cheers!

2. That was great! I really like how you gave an excellent explanation on why you picked the colors, and also, great scene selection and each one followed the other one making it easy to go along with. One thing that I found was that some of the scenes that you picked could have used a little bit more explanation. Overall it was great keep up the great work.

1. Thanks Trystan! I did try to make sure that I gave enough detail into my answer. I definitely agree with you that I could have explained the scenes a lot more than I did. I appreciate your feedback!